Good Gut Vanilla Marshmallows
Marshmallows are not only insanely delicious but using good gut nutrition proteins like collagen, gelatine and l-glutamine will speed up the rebuilding and strengthening of your digestive lining, and reduce inflammation in your gut.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 tbsp good gut gelatin
- 1 tbsp perfectly pure collagen
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder or rice flour
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Allow the gelatin to bloom for at least 10 minutes.
- While the gelatin is blooming, add the remaining 1/2 cup water, honey and salt to a small pot. Heat on medium-high and stir the mixture for the first minute only, keeping a close eye that it doesn't boil over. Cook for approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Turn your mixer on low to break up the gelatin and slowly and carefully pour the sugar mixture on top. Gradually increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture has tripled in size, resembles marshmallow fluff and is cool to the touch. This should take approximately 8-10 minutes. In the last minute, add the vanilla bean or vanilla extract and collagen.
- While the marshmallow is beating, line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle the arrowroot or rice flour onto the parchment paper.
- Pour the marshmallow onto the pan and quickly flatten the top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle some arrowroot powder on top and allow to set a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove the parchment paper from the marshmallow, then invert the marshmallow onto a cutting board, dusted with more arrowroot powder.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the marshmallow into squares.
- Eat the marshmallows immediately or place in a storage container for 1-2 days.